Thursday, July 30, 2009

UPDATE: I'm NOT going to Quirihue!

This post was from before my host city changed to Los Alamos. Slight hiccup on the part of the Ministry of Education, but the adventure continues!


Imagine a small town with only 11,000 people in the town and surrounding area. It is not featured in any guidebooks and cannot be found on any maps. It's 45 miles from the nearest “major: city (Chillan) and located 20 miles from the ocean. I will be the first native-English teacher that has ever been in Quirihue.

At first I was concerned when I couldn't find the city in any of the guidebooks or maps (I finally found it on Google Maps), but I've been waiting for so long to know my placement that I feel relieved to finally know. Living in such a small town will be an added layer on top of living and teaching abroad. Quirihue is an agricultural and wine making town, so I imagine most of my students parents will work as farm laborers. I'm hoping that it will be similar to Davis. The city is at roughly the same latitude as Fresno, CA. I'm excited and relieved to finally know. I head to Quirihue on Saturday, so more updates to come!

http://www.chile.com/tpl/articulo/detalle/ver.tpl?cod_articulo=90555

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha... looks like you need to update your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin! It's so great to be able to read about this! I think it's interesting that 11,000 sounds big to me; my town is about 1,500 people and probably twice as many apple trees. But it's just so different, in so many ways. I hope you have an amazing time!!
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin,
    I am really enjoying your blog. I can't wait to hear about your next adventure.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete