Friday, July 17, 2009

First Impressions

I have been in Santiago for a little over 48 hours and it feels like I have already been here for a week. My flight got in at 4:30 in the morning on Wednesday and on top of that I had to wait at the airport until 9AM for the rest of the flights to arrive in order to be picked up at the airport. I slept well that first night.

My Hostel: Other than my exhausting start, everything has been going pretty smoothly so far. I'm living in a beautiful hostel in downtown Santiago. My room is tiny and there is no central heating in the building, so it is that much harder to get out of bed in the morning. On the upside:, it's located on calle Londres which is in an area where all of the streets are very narrow and the architecture is European.



My Fellow World Teachers: The group of teachers I'm with are an eclectic group. We are group of 24 and there are handful from every part of the country. There is a range of ages as well. Half of us are just out of college but the other half are mid-career teachers, lawyers, and retired accountants. Being in a group with such varied life experiences is a lot of fun. With only a group of 24, I have talked to almost everyone in the group by now. All of us cooked dinner together in our hostel last night (spaghetti with an oyster sauce).


More to come later. We are taking a field trip to the US Embassy this afternoon. We have been in 8 hours of class every day learning about TEFL, WorldTeach, the Chilean school system, and the country's history.

2 comments:

  1. I like the photos. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you see that pic?
    YOU DORK KENJI :)

    miss you a LITTLE obs

    ReplyDelete