Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Week 14-15: Waiting for Strikes to End

30 Sec. Update: This past week was melancholy. Teachers nationwide have been on strike for the last eight days, so I have been trying to find other ways to fill the time when I'm normally teaching. With only three weeks of teaching remaining, I hope that the strikes will end soon because they are cutting into my plans to wrap-up my classes. Last weekend, with the pending strikes on the horizon, I took a long trip to Pucón with some of the other English teachers. Pucón is Chile's extreme sports mecca. Over four days, I made two trips to hot springs, visited five waterfalls, hiked eight hours in Parque Nacional Huerquehue, and climbed 4,000 feet up Volcán Villarica. Despite all of last weekend's adrenaline, I have been missing Davis. I recently realized that I haven't been in California for more than two weeks at a time the last two and half years. For a while I have been telling people that I am going to extend my time here, but with this recent epiphany and others, I feel ready to come home.


Only in the “Skinny One” (Damas and Naipes):
With rainy weather and more free time on my hands from the strikes, I spent a lot of time this week playing games to pass the time. Two of my new Chilean favorites are Damas and Naipes neither of which I have seen in the United States.

In my high school Spanish classes I learned that “Damas” was the word for Checkers, but at least here in Chile, Damas is a more complex affair. I will try my best to explain the details in words, but it is the type of game that is better learned by playing. The basic movements are the same as the checkers I played when I was a kid, but there a few extra rules. First, you are obligated to take your opponents pieces if you have the opportunity, which means you constantly sacrifice your own pieces to bait your opponent. Second, when your piece gets “kinged,” it now has the movement of a bishop in Chess and can change directions mid-movement to do a double jump. These pieces are super powerful, so the entire game you are figuring out how to gain access to your opponent's back alley. The key to winning is forcing your opponent into a position where they are double jumped and getting “kinged” before they do. Despite knowing this, I have played over a dozen games of Damas with my host-father and have lost every single one.

My other favorite way to past time in Chile is “Naipes.” On a first look, the cards appear similar to a normal deck of playing cards. There are four suites (gold coins, swords, clubs, and chalices). Each suite has numbered cards and facecards. The big differences are the images that appear on the cards (they look more like Tarot cards) and the deck only contains forty cards rather than fifty two (ten for each suite; # 1-7, jack, queen, and king). There are a number of games you can play with these cards, but the only one that I know is called “Escoba” or “Quince,” which is a cross between Spades and Gin. As suggested by the name, the goal is to collect as many cards as you can by making combinations of 15. Each round points are awarded to the player who collects the most cards overall, the most “gold” cards, the 7 of “gold,” and the highest card of each suite. This game is fairly straightforward, but it is complicated by the fact that a jack is worth 8, queen is 9, and king is 10 testing your basic mental math. My favorite parts of the game are the colorful cards and the idea of collecting gold to win.

Volcan Villarica (2,847 m): Climbing the volcano was my chief reason for traveling to Pucon last weekend, but because the foul weather, I didn't have a window to attempt a summit until my last day there. The wait was more than worth it though. The views during the ascent were spectacular. I could see hundreds of miles of the snow-capped Andes, high altitude lakes, and pristine forests from Chile to Argentina. The return of high-speed winds and white out conditions prevented me from reaching the crater, but glissading down the volcano in the middle of blizzard was all the more exhilarating.

This was about the point when we decided that we wouldn't be able to summit.






Dulces y Travesura:
Halloween is a recent export from America to the “skinny one.” While there is a long history of “Día de Los Muertos” (the 1st of November), only in the last ten years have they started observing “All hallows eve.” After thrity years of watching American horror movies and seeing Halloween episodes of the Simpsons, Chileans have become fascinated with this American tradition. Still in its infancy in Chile, Halloween is mainly celebrated in the larger more cosmopolitan cities. In small towns like Los Alamos, it is a dinner-table debate topic and is used by the Evangelical churches to rile up their followers during protests and all-night sermons. In order to investigate how Chileans celebrate my favorite childhood holiday, I decided to travel two hours to the biggest nearby city, Concepcion in search of Halloween.

One of my first stops was in the city's plaza and there I hit the jackpot. Hundreds of people were attending an Evangelical anti-Halloween concert. I was wearing a plastic bandit mask that I had bought from one of the street vendors, but I was advised to take it off to avoid a confrontation. On stage as a band played Christian rock, I watched several actors dressed in Halloween costumes attack a white-robed Christ figure and he fought them back to the cheers of the crowd. Afterwards every in the crowd started chanting “Cristo vive! Cristo vive!” The night before my Chilean aunt and cousin talked over whether they should let my younger cousin dress up. Both of them Christians felt torn between letting my younger cousin be a kid and the anti-Halloween statements espoused by their minister. Celebrating Halloween is clearly a contentious issue in Chile.

As I continued walking around the city, I noticed little signs of Halloween here and there, but I could tell that it was still a fringe holiday. On street corners, a couple vendors sold plastic masks and plastic pumpkins. In the grocery store, there was a display of candy which said “Dulces o Travesura?” (the Spanish equivalent of “Trick or Treat”). On the sidewalk, I saw a little boy wearing plastic red devil horns and a matching pitchfork. This didn't feel like the Halloween I knew when I was a child. For me the weirdest thing was to be celebrating Halloween in the spring time. So many of my memories of Halloween have to do with the fall: visits to the pumpkin patch, corn mazes, bobbing for apples, and of course, carving pumpkins. I had come to Concepcion to see a Chilean Halloween, but instead I found myself missing an American one.

Missing America: I never thought that I say this but I earnestly miss America. I guess it takes some time outside of our country to appreciate everything that we have going for us. My latest bout of missing home was brought on by a list of the 100 must-try American foods. It was the geographic and ethnic diversity of the foods that reminded me of how good we have it. I'm tired of mono-cultural Chile. Living in a place where there is a such a strong shared culture is fascinating but I want my Chinese food, I want to see people of different skin colors, I want to listen to different kinds of music, and I want the comforts of being in Davis and in Providence.

This week my pendulum has firmly swung in the opposite direction about extending. My infatuation with Chile is starting to wear off and I want to be home. It is also the realization that it has been so long since I actually felt at home in Davis. I haven't lived there for more than two weeks at a time over the last three years. I haven't felt like I actually lived in Davis for the last four and half years.

The more I think about this decision, the more it feels right for what I need right now. I don't want to get back from Chile and go straight into grad school without spending a long time with the people I love. I took this year off for a number of reasons and while one of those reasons was for the self-exploration that I had in Chile, one of the biggest reasons was to spend time at home with friends and family. I'm excited to continue my travels after I'm done with teaching but by that time I will feel ready to come home.

1 comment:

  1. Came across you blog after doing a google search for the Colo Colo soccer team logo (they are tearing it up in the Copa Libertadores!!) and actually read a few of your posts. Very cool stuff. Being 1/2 Chilean and having lived in both Santiago and Copiapo for 3 years and being raised fairly close to my mother's side of the family, I just wanted give you the skinny on the Chilean use of the word "chino/a." While I agree there might be some "idol worship" or fascination, as you put it, with the orient and people of asian descent. It is not the reason Chileans, and many other latinos, identify people who are asian or look asian as "chino/a". It has more to do with the lack of social sensitivity, but in a good way. I'm sure you encountered fat kids being called "gordo" or "waton" and skinny kids being called "flaco" and dark-skinned kids being called "negro" so on and so forth. In latin culture there is little consideration for much of the overly sensitive PC world that has predominated here in the US. Down there you are called what you are and no one really looks much deeper into it than that. In most cases it is even endearing, kinda just depends on the tone. Hope that helps bring some light to the subject. Seems like you had an awesome experience. I definitely miss Chile and all that it is. All the best chino-flaco!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete